The first thought that goes through a woman’s mind when she may be pregnant with an unplanned pregnancy is panic and anxiety. There are a number of options for teens facing this upward battle and Heart to Heart Adoption offers valuable advice.
- First, confirm the pregnancy. A number of clinics offer free pregnancy tests. There is no sense in a teen panicking over something that may not even be a reality.
- Second, if a woman is indeed pregnant, often women wonder if the pregnancy actually constitutes a baby. Science has shown that, even as young as two months, fetuses look like tiny, miniature human beings. While their skin may be transparent, they have developed fingers and toes, including delicate arteries and veins.
- Third, consider that there are billions of parents in the world, so this is a natural process. If a teen is in a position where she cannot support a child, adoption may be a natural alternative.
– Adoption allows a couple to adopt a baby, thus giving them a new life.
– There are a number of adoption options, including semi-open, closed or open adoptions.
i. Semi-Open – This form of adoption typically allows minimal contact between the adoptive and birth parents, though interaction is usually with letters and photos, instead of in-person.
ii. Closed Option – Closed adoption is defined as there being no interaction between the adoptive and birth parents, although the birth parent may opt to choose the adoptive parents for her unborn child.
iii. Open Option – This is the most common form of adoption, which allows face-to-face visits before the baby’s birth. This allows a birthmother to select a family that meets her expectations and the needs of her unborn child.
- Adoption allows a teen mom to pursue her life’s plans and long-term goals.
- Adoption allows a teen mom to live independently, without being a single parent.
- Adoption offers freedom for a teen mom if she prefers not to have a relationship with the birth father.
- Adoption allows a teen mom to grow up and not become a parent before she is ready, emotionally mature and financially stable.
- Adoption allows a teen mom to resume her career and/or education.
- For women considering an abortion, they should know that Post Abortion Syndrome is a medical condition that many women experience after an abortion. Symptoms include anxiety, anger, rage, nightmares, grief, guilt, shape, sadness, depression, uncontrollable crying, emotional outbursts, sleeping disorders, low self-esteem, irritability, withdrawal from others, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, suicidal tendencies, self-destructive behavior, inability to be involved in a fruitful relationship, a sense of hopelessness and efforts to avoid interaction-involving situations.
- For teens that are pregnant, please note that no one has the right to force anyone into having an abortion. The professionals at Heart to Heart offer abortion alternatives, including medical care, financial assistance and housing. As a private adoption agency, Heart to Heart helps provide unplanned pregnancies with abortion alternatives.